International
FG Arranges Return of 83 Nigerians From South Africa Amid Fresh Xenophobia Tensions
The Federal Government is set to receive another 83 Nigerians returning from South Africa on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, amid renewed concerns over the treatment of foreign nationals in the country.
The returnees are expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, at about 8:45pm after departing Oliver Tambo Airport, Johannesburg, at 3:35pm local time aboard South African Airways.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the latest evacuation was made possible through the sponsorship of flight tickets by public-spirited private individuals.
The ministry expressed appreciation for the intervention, describing it as an example of public-private cooperation in responding to consular emergencies.
The latest return comes after the Federal Government concluded a voluntary repatriation programme through which nearly 1,490 Nigerians were brought back from South Africa amid concerns over Afrophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments.
The ministry said Nigeria would continue engaging South African authorities and other host countries to address the causes of Afrophobia and prevent violence and discrimination against Nigerians.
It also urged the organised private sector, corporate organisations, state governments and other Nigerians to support emergency assistance and evacuation efforts when required.
The development comes as South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has issued a fresh September 30 deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.
The group staged a protest in central Durban on Tuesday, August 18, during the 46th Ordinary SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government, demanding tougher measures against undocumented immigrants.
According to BBC News Pidgin, the group said it was announcing the second wave of the June 30 National Day of Action and called on heads of state to prepare for what it described as the “massive deportation” of illegal foreigners from South Africa by September 30.
The group also urged South Africans to follow the law and assist the police by reporting undocumented foreigners in the country.
The protest has renewed attention on South Africa’s immigration policies and the safety of foreign nationals, with President Cyril Ramaphosa recently condemning violence and discrimination against Africans from other countries.
Ramaphosa said South Africa was deeply ashamed that people from other countries had suffered ill-treatment and that some had been forced to leave the country because of threats of violence.
He added that the country could not preach integration at a summit while practising exclusion on its streets.
The Federal Government said it remains committed to protecting Nigerians abroad and strengthening diplomatic partnerships to safeguard their welfare and dignity.



